For a little context: this is a follow up to my sermon from my series “What’s In Your Well? … 7 Life Affirming Virtues”. This particular virtue was “chastity.”
How To Manage Your Sexual Desire
How to Control Lust
1. Check the water in your well.
Are you thinking too highly of yourself? Are you thinking too low of yourself? Many times, misplaced lust has to do with thinking to low of yourself.
2. Are you managing your adrenaline well? If it is driving you, it can really come out in the area of lust (also anger.) Adrenaline, driven by anger, can fuel sexual sin. This reveal itself in using people to try to satisfy your sexual desire. It can especially apply to pornography, which some people look to the substitute for intimacy.
3. How are you doing with guilt? Are you carrying any guilt with you?
4. Remember Satan is attacking you in the area of sexual desire. To use your sexual desire in an incorrect way messes with your soul. Having your soul messed up messes with your ability to have relationships with people. You will pay a price for this.
5. Minimize the opportunity for temptation.
6. Abstain from all appearances of evil (I Thess. 5:22.)
7. Monitor your thoughts.
8. Use your God-given gift of imagination to project the potential consequences of the sin of lust. “When we ignore God's laws, we don't break—they break us.” Rick Ezell