Friday, December 11, 2009

Love the Person or Love the Relationship? Part 2

I write the following as a learner. I recognize I am not where I need to be, but neither is our society.

I am distressed by what welfare has “accomplished” in this country. I do not fault the motives, but I do believe the results have been disastrous. If you're young, you need to understand that over 40 years ago, our federal government declared war on poverty. We have lost.

To summarize Tony Campolo, the Christian evangelist with a heart for the poor, welfare was supposed to be a safety net for those who fell upon hard times temporarily. Instead, it has helped create a dependency that has undermined the basic dignity of human beings.

Rather than cultivate solutions it has nurtured resentment In a large number of people, and it has humiliated and dehumanized millions. Consequently, it has encouraged lying and deceit in a number of our citizens.

People who were healthy and able to work chose not to do so but rather to cheat the system. Now, the word "welfare" has a negative connotation.

Ultimately, while it is true many people have been helped by welfare, the price has been high. I believe that the welfare system, and I include in that system our historic policy toward Native Americans, has more than anything else, almost destroyed the family structure of two of the races in this country. It threatens to destroy the others.

I am not against government. I would be a hypocrite, were I to claim so. It was state government that funded the cost for Judy and me to serve in foster care. It was state government that funded the cost for Judy and me to adopt our children. If you are a resident of the state of Texas, you helped support us—financing our foster care and adoption.

Last week, we talked about the fact that God is a giver; therefore, we are givers. God has blessed us by treating us in a way consistent with his love. He has especially blessed us through offering grace.

Equally consistent with God’s character is a ministry to the poor. Throughout, scripture, we see God maintaining a heart for the poor and calling us to do likewise. Consequently, God’s love and gratitude motivate our ministry to the poor. This means the poor in other countries; it also means the poor here at home.

We must offer grace to the poor. But grace is only one side of the coin in helping the poor. We must also share in the godly ministry of accountability. This helps the poor become who God would have them to be. It also helps us, because in holding people— including the poor—accountable, we are being like God.

Next week, I hope to continue our look at ministries of grace and accountability by fleshing out why both are biblical and in harmony with God’s character. I hope to demonstrate what it means to hold someone accountable, particularly if that someone is poor, and to inspire us to consider how God blesses someone’s life when we minister with grace AND accountability.
My Trip to Spearfish or,
How I Survived Winter in the Land of DANCES WITH WOLV
ES


Today, I returned from my epic trip to Spearfish, South Dakota. You may not know much about Spearfish. I know that I did not until this past week. Come to find out, Spearfish is one of the top vacation spots in the United States. Located in the Black Hills of South Dakota, which remind me more of the Rocky Mountains than they do hills, Spearfish is a beautiful vacation spot.

The following are some of the local attractions, of which you may not be aware. Mount Rushmore is located near Spearfish. For all you fans of the HBO series DEADWOOD, that town was real and continues to this day. The HOMESTAKE goldmine, located in nearby Lead, was one of the largest in the world until it closed in 2002. There are ski slopes, trout fishing, game hunting, and much more. I, however, traveled to Spearfish in order to encourage a local congregation there (we help support their campus ministry) and see what I could learn from them.

I flew out of DFW airport last Friday. Of course, checking in is always a hassle. I hate taking off my shoes, and they made me take off my hiking boots. In an unrelated story, three men, two women, and a dog collapsed. I survived that ordeal.

I tell you, major airports today have everything. At DFW, I found an easy chair next to a plug where I could relax while I recharged my phone. It was free! Don't tell anybody this -- it's our secret.

They also have lots of banks in airports. I'm sure that's for the convenience of passengers. They may want to take out loans, in order to purchase a bottle of water.

I arrived at Spearfish on Friday night. The temperature was 25°. Little did I know, this would be the warmest weather I would experience.

I stayed with Jerry and LaVon Savage. This neat couple has been serving the Lord and Spearfish now for 10 years. They were wonderful hosts and I really enjoyed my stay with them.

Saturday, they took me on the scenic tour which included the spot where they filmed the final scene of DANCES WITH WOLVES. Looking up into the mountains, Jerry called out the words of the Sioux Indian to Kevin Costner, “Gimoni Tutonka!”, or something to that effect. Very moving.

Sunday, I had the opportunity to preach to 100 hardy souls who braved the 5° temperature and snowy conditions.



They were wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. Afterwards, we had a meal that included lots of wild game: elk, pheasant, goose, duck, and antelope. I felt guilty for not bringing some good ’ol East Texas barbecue raccoon and possum with sweet potatoes. Maybe next time.

Folks did not seem to be bothered by the cold temperatures; I really enjoyed visiting with them. Instinctively, I could tell they were more reserved on average than the typical Texan. Still, they were hospitable and friendly.

Monday morning, Jerry took me to the campus house that the church owns next door to Black Hills State University.



It was 2° and, being the romantic that I am, I could not resist volunteering to shovel snow off the sidewalk and porch. Moreover, I found the exercise warmed me up. Hah!

The church campus intern, James, showed up about this time. He had awakened at 2 AM so that he could go to work at 3 AM. He has a part-time job with a local lawn service company. His job is to go throughout the town shoveling snow off the sidewalks of businesses and private residences. He uses a shovel, not a snowblower, probably to avoid waking up the neighborhood. I immediately felt like a wimp. Someday, I hope to introduce him to Timothy. If I have that privilege, I will definitely say, "Here, my son, is a man."

That afternoon, Jerry and I made a quick foray to Deadwood, where I got to see the location where Wild Bill Hickok was murdered. It burned to the ground a few years ago, but now they have a replica building. I also got to see the chair Hickock was sitting in when the sneaky coward crept and shot him. Deadwood was a tough town in 1876. Afterwards, I felt myself instinctively looking behind—just in case. I did not want history repeating itself.

The campus ministry always has a Bible study in their campus house on Monday nights. This Monday night though the study was canceled because the students were finishing up their final projects and papers for the semester. I was so disappointed I missed the study. However, I did get to meet with a few of the guys from the study at the University the next day for lunch.

We met at Taco Bell and had a good discussion for two hours. While there, I saw Jerry go over and speak with a lady who was sitting by herself. She was a prime timer-age woman and I assumed Jerry was simply sowing seeds for the kingdom.

After a while, she got up to leave and Jerry returned to join us. Jerry said that she was actually a member of his church, who had not been able to attend Sunday because she was out-of-town. He was really cracking up, too, because he said she asked him who the college guys were -- and she was including me as a college guy. Jerry laughed and said it was probably my buzz cut and goatee that made her think that. I, however, had a new best friend.

Wednesday night, I saw this lady at a church meal. I immediately went over and hugged her, and I thanked her for considering me a college student. She pleasantly accepted my gratitude and said, "Oh yes, I see more and more students who are 60 and 70 years old studying at the university." I felt like throwing her down. My warm and fuzzy feelings suddenly evaporated.

Tuesday and Wednesday Jerry took me to other Bible studies where I got to meet some new people. I thoroughly enjoyed that and am very impressed with the way Jerry works with people. This was reinforced at the Bible study I saw him teach on Wednesday night to members of his church. He really is doing a good job in Spearfish.

The church is doing good ministry also. They have two fine elders, a wide diversity of ages in their church, including a strong youth group. I think they are poised for even more growth.

And, oh yes, the weather. Thursday morning, I had a great walk around the neighborhood. When I returned, I discovered on the morning news that the wind-chill was 30° below zero. However, it really did not feel that cold. I guess is it was because of the dry temperature. And they keep the buildings and houses warm. I think gas is cheap up there.



And, oh my, the snow was beautiful. It snowed almost everyday. It looked like a winter wonderland.



Really, the only time I had any trouble was when I went walking on a road one morning toward a pasture that held some buffalo. The wind was blowing a little bit and I had my scarf around my mouth and nose. Consequently, my breath would come out from under my scarf and hit my glasses. This would cause my classes to frost over. I had to be careful what I did at that point, because the frost would freeze and I did not want to break my lenses.

I cracked up last night when I arrived at DFW. They announced on the plane that the airport temperature was 35 degrees. I walked outside expecting to feel cold. Instead, the air felt downright balmy! Nothing like below zero temperatures to give you a little perspective.

I am glad I chose to visit Spearfish and the church. I am especially glad I chose to go during the winter. One warning -- blizzards do occur. People do get snowed in occasionally. Then again, that could happen to you in Spearfish in June as well. Hey, life’s a risk!




Five things I think I think (a tip of the hat to Peter King for this idea)
1. Oh, great! First, I look at trading my clunker for a car, and the government panics and cancels the program. I finally buy a cell phone, an iPhone, no less, and now AT&T is saying that iPhone customers are using their phones so much, they are going to have to start charging more. This reminds of something else, almost every time I have moved somewhere, Abilene, South America, Winters, and Tyler, the economy grew worse or even tanked. I am starting to feel like the kid in Peanuts, who has the cloud over his head everywhere.

2. Let me get this straight. ESPN’s talking heads began to make Alabama an immediate prohibitive favorite following Saturday’s games. For the following 33 days, Texas players will hear why Alabama is the superior team and will win. I have heard this before—back in December of 2005 before the Texas-USC. Write it down in four inch headlines—TEXAS WILL BEAT ALABAMA.

3. Just when I think the news cycle on the ETCA and Austin Summit volleyball teams will end, someone else tells the story. Last week, it was the CHRISTIAN CHRONICLE re-printing the DALLAS MORNING NEWS Kevin’s Sherrington’s article and running several photos: http://www.christianchronicle.org/article2158947~%27A_night_when_God%92s_grace_was_present%27

This week, I was shocked to read multi-time National Sportswriter of the Year, Rick Reilly, refer to it in his ESPN THE MAGAZINE column: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4701710

This story has gone viral—and that is a pretty cool thing.

4. I have read with interest the assessments of the decade in various publications. FOX SPORTS shared online their list of the top ten technological sports developments of the decade. Have far we have come. The obvious innovations were on the list such as blogging and Twitter. What I did not realize was that as late as 2004, FOX was only running 6 NFL games a week in High Definition.

5. Our 1991 Suburban has now been put out to pasture. Last week, I found out the radiator needs to be replaced. I will fight no more forever. My kids want to donate the vehicle to ETCA for a fundraiser—and allow people to pay money to take a sledgehammer and beat the beast into submission. Of course, I would probably go broke because my kids would want to pay for all of the swings.


Have a Great Weekend!

No comments: