Monday, October 11, 2010

The Ultimate Trump Card


“The Lord laid it on my heart…” How many times has a friend said these words to you? It puts things in a special category. “Who am I to go against the Lord?”

Randy Harris calls this statement the ultimate trump card. For this reason, Christians must approach, with extreme caution, the deployment of this phrase for the benefit of other people. I know; I am a preacher; I face this challenge every week.

The problem can be linked to Jesus’ words in the Sermon on the Mount. When Jesus said, 33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one (Matt. 5:33-37).

He was not simply saying keep your promises. As Dallas Willard writes, Jesus is also confronting the temptation to use our words, invoking the sacred to manipulate others. I know of no other phrase in the church today that manipulates more people than “The Lord laid it on my heart…”

Of course, I am not saying the Lord refuses to “lay” things on people’s hearts. Nor am I warning others to never approach someone with that phrase. What I am saying is be very, very careful.

You put people in a very difficult position when you approach them with those words. Good manners tug at them to be nice to you, listen to you, and maybe even try to do what you tell them—especially, if you invoke the Lord.

Here is what I recommend you do when you approach someone with this message:

1. Expect, yea, encourage, the individual you are approaching to not simply take your word for it. Ask them to search the Scriptures, pray, and contemplate what you are saying. After all, you, like them, are fallen. I try to remind myself to do this with the Bible in a Bible study or sermon. I will tell people, “Don’t simply take my word for it, read and study for yourself.”

2. Take a page out of Jesus’ book. Jesus let people decide for themselves. He did not manipulate them into doing His will.

3. Maintain a spirit of humility. I cannot tell you how many times, in all of my years of preaching, I have observed personal growth through this observation: thoughts I expressed in an earlier sermon (or even sermons!) were wrong. To me, Scripture is even easier to interpret than the Spirit’s prompting; yet, I have, on occasion, gotten that wrong. I would think that the mysterious prompting of the Spirit is even more difficult to interpret. When it comes to God telling you what other people should do, please remain humble.


Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)

1.    Wow! What a strange week for the Rangers. First, I was thrilled they won a game in Tampa. Then, I was thrilled they stole two. Next, I was disappointed they didn’t clinch in Arlington. Now, I’m wondering if they can pull it off in Game 5. Who knows?

2.    At least, we can always count on the Cowboys.

3.    I wish to share an opinion, I believe is not political because I know people in both parties who agree with me. Having lived in Latin America five years, I’m convinced there is a better way to help those countries.
Why spend billions each year maintaining the status quo, when we can empower people to reach their potential and help their countries become first world nations. Anything we in the U. S. and Texas, can do to encourage free trade will accomplish that end. Now, if ultimately we do not wish for Latin American nations to join the “First World”, it is time we own up to that.

4.    Had a friend tell me last week that Disney’s new movie, SECRETARIAT, is one for the entire family.

5. I’ve got to admit, there is something fun about taking Monday’s off.


No comments: