Monday, November 29, 2010

The Death Angel


            I came across this nugget from the pen* of the late Richard John Neuhaus, editor of the journal, FIRST THINGS. 
            Dr. Joseph Mengele was a Nazi war criminal.  You may have heard of him.  He was known as the "Angel of Death."  For years, at the Auschwitz concentration camp, Mengele tortured prisoners. He cruelly performed "scientific" experiments upon them. Many died from Mengele’s torment.
            After World War Two, Mengele fled to Argentina.  During the early 90s, the new democratic government in Argentina opened up their previously sealed files on the Nazis, who had fled to Argentina. Guess how Dr. Mengele made his living in Argentina? As a doctor who performed abortions.
            Does this subliminally speak to us about the nature and practice of abortion?

*Source: FIRST THINGS, March 2009 issue, p. 66.

Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)

1. Read Buster Olney’s, HOW LUCKY YOU CAN BE; THE STORY OF COACH DON MEYER a couple of weeks ago. It is the story of Don Meyer, one of the winningest coaches in college basketball history. Meyer lost a leg in a horrific automobile accident in 2008. During that ordeal, he was discovered to have cancer. In 2009, ESPN awarded him the Jimmy V (Valvano) award for courage.
            I found the book interesting because Meyer coached for 25 years at David Lipscomb University (now Lipscomb University)—my mother’s alma mater.
            The book reads quickly. Olney, who is now employed by ESPN, has a reputation for being a strong sport’s journalist. Still, he is an admitted admirer of Myer, who he got to know when Olney was working for the NASHVILLE BANNER back in the late eighties.
            I suspect because Olney is a journalist, Meyer’s Christian faith is treated from a respectful distance. Olney summarizes Meyer’s devotion to God and the impact of the church in his life, rather than celebrate it. For this reason, any secular person would feel comfortable reading this book.
            On a personal level, I enjoyed reading behind-the-scene stories about Meyer’s relationships with other coaches. He is highly respected in the coaching world, even though he has not gained the notoriety others have.
            I also was fascinated in the behind-the-scenes aspect of the most glorious moment of Meyer’s coaching career—receiving the Jimmy V award. Olney takes you onstage, backstage, and in the audience. In a celebrity driven culture, it is neat to read of celebrities being impacted in such a positive way by a courageous, Christian coach.
            I definitely give this book a thumbs-up. 

2. Do I really want to preach REVELATION in 2011?

3. Kellen Moore, quarterback of the Boise State Broncos—you have been glorious the past two seasons. It was not your fault your team lost.

4. Taking my son, Timothy, deer hunting last Friday and Saturday reminded me how much I enjoyed hunting growing up. Thanks, Mike Warner, for showing us a good time. I told my church about our adventures. I may need to blog on it sometime. I can say this, though--the Deer world is still safe from Mark Edge.

5. Judy finally gave me permission to show the 1953 version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL Thursday night to our family. The kids survived. I love that movie. 

No comments: