Monday, December 27, 2010

Finishing in Faith

Here is a provocative admonition from Christian psychologists, Dr. Archibald Hart, for all of us with Type A temperaments.
God is a God of NOT finishing the faith--in this life. Let me explain.
We will all die with things left unfinished. God’s people had not taken Canaan when Moses died. Paul’s mission to the Gentiles had not been fulfilled when he died. Even Jesus (!), by design, left things unfinished… for his disciples to complete.
God is a God of people who do not finish the faith--in this life. Therefore, we finish our lives in faith.

The Ultimate (Birthday) Gift
My daughter, Annie, celebrated her birthday December 16. Beforehand she had a strange request for her birthday—a doorbell.
Finally, I asked her, “Annie, why do you want a doorbell?”
“To put on my bedroom door.”
“Why do you want to put a doorbell on your bedroom door?”
“Because Timothy likes doorbells. If I put a doorbell on my bedroom door, he will ring it instead of bursting in.”
Brilliant, I thought. Unfortunately, Timothy overheard our conversation and found a hole in Annie’s theory.
“I can still annoy you,” he said. “All I have to do is keep ringing the bell—ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding….”
Having heard him ring our doorbells incessantly in times past, I think he has a point.

Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)

1. I mentioned this in Facebook this morning. Last night, our family passed LAND OF LIGHTS, near Athens, on hwy. 31. Our daughter, Haleigh, 17, starting crying out, “Look! Let’s stop! Let’s stop! Please, let’s stop!” We did. We waited for half an hour until it opened. It cost $20 for our car. At first, I thought we had wasted our money, but the light trail was endless. I was amazed at the amount of lights and the creativity of the displays. Our family gives LAND OF LIGHTS six thumbs up.
2. My favorite six weeks of the year are about to end. The new year cranks up fast and furious. One thing that helps me adjust: the NFL playoffs.
3. Saturday night’s loss notwithstanding, Jason Garrett has made me a believer. He is the perfect fit for the Cowboys. Jerry Jones had better sign him.
4. My most serendipitous gift was not given to me at Christmas. We stopped by a convenience store to ask for directions. The store had an Indiana Jones hat, just like we have been look for the past several months. Perfect!
5. I desire great blessings for you in 2011.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got to ask . . . why were you looking for a hat? Does it have anything to do with your hair?

Dr. William Mark Edge said...

Absolutely. It is the Tom Landry coming out in me. :)