Monday, March 14, 2011

Prayer

            Recently, someone in my congregation asked me to preach on prayer. In my sermon prep, I came to an interesting conclusion. The older I get, the more I value accessing God, and the less I value asking God.
            I still believe in asking God—don’t get me wrong. I’m not a legalist—like the single girl in the old story, who really wanted to get married. She was afraid to ask the Lord directly for a husband, so she prayed, “Oh, Lord, I would never be so presumptuous as to ask you for a husband; however, my mother would sure love to have a son-in-law...”
            One reason for this is, I have come to another conclusion: I believe the Bible is just as much a book about prayers answered “no” as it is about prayers answered “yes.”
            Captives of Israel and Judah sent up a lot of prayers to God, asking that He rescue them from exile. Many died with God’s answer being, no. 
            For centuries, before Jesus, many Jews beseeched God to give them a Messiah to drive out the Romans. God answered, no.
            Paul asked God to remove his thorn in the flesh. God answered, no.
            My favorite, though, is Jesus’ prayer to be spared the cross. God answered, no.
            I have lived enough to see some of my requests answered “no” by God, and I realize how blessed I am that he did not grant my request. This has given me more confidence in God and His work. (As if He needed that!)
            Slowly, almost imperceptibly, I find myself looking for where God is working. I find myself asking God that He reveal where He is working and allow me to be a part of it.
            I still make personal requests of God. But, I value more asking God for you, because I see Jesus doing that a lot in Scripture.
            One last thought. A few years ago, Mark E. Thibodeaux, in his book, THE ARMCHAIR MYSTIC, wrote something that ministered to me greatly. He classified four stages of prayer:

            Talking at God
            Talking to God
            Listening to God
            Being with God
            I have come to appreciate the “Being with God” stage. Not all prayer is asking. 
           “Be still and know that I am God.”
  
            Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)
1. My friend, Patrick Leech, sent me a link this week to an article announcing Rob Bell’s new book, Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Has Ever Lived.
            The author of the article summarized Bell to say some things that are out of the realm of traditional Christian teaching. However, the actual quotes of Bell posted in the article did not support the writer’s summary.
            I have seen enough of these to know that, sometimes, critics select quotes, out of context, to support their bias or to generate news. I think I will reserve opinion until I read the book.
            One thing is for sure; it should be an interesting read.            
2. I saw a hilarious spoof of the Beatles’ story last week. Co-written by Monty Python’s, Eric Idle, it was a movie, broadcast on NBC in 1978. The title was THE RUTLES: ALL YOU NEED IS CASH. I actually watched its original airing and remember cracking up. I found the DVD on NETFLIX last week and enjoyed it, probably more, the second time.
3. No way I’m picking the FINAL FOUR—yet.
4. Judy, Haleigh, and I saw a fascinating documentary last night. It was part of ESPN’s THIRTY FOR THIRTY series. Called FAB FIVE, it chronicled the story of the five freshmen, who started for the University of Michigan basketball team in 1991-92.
            It was totally enthralling. I, especially, was fascinated at how the documentary detailed the Fab Five's blending of hip-hop and popular culture.
            Warning, I am biased. I like a world that is not only safe for bald men, but also one that encourages shaved heads as a legitimate hairstyle. The Fab Five helped make this happen. Moreover, they were the ones that brought modest shorts to the youth. As one fellow said in the program, “Before the Fab Five, men looked they were playing basketball in panties.” Amen. Thanks, Fab Five.

5. God bless the people in Japan. The planet earth can be a fragile place.



            

No comments: