Monday, May 2, 2011

A Little Dab Will Do You


             I received good and interesting feedback on my thoughts on THE LORD’S SUPPER/COMMUNION last week. What I wish to do today is unusual for me; today, I wish to make an argument for the other side.
            It would go like this.
            There is no way we can replicate the Lord’s Supper/Communion experience of the First Century. First, for a substantial number of Christians, that meal was their biggest and best of the week. (This is one of the reasons Paul jumped on the more well-to-do Corinthians—they enjoying a relatively sumptuous meal; meanwhile, the poor had little to eat and left hungry.)
            Meat was not an item Christians could always afford. For Jewish Christians, a carry-over from some of the sacrificial meals under the old law was eating meat during sacred meals. Most of us regularly eat meat, and when was the last time you enjoyed a church’s potluck more than you did food from your favorite restaurant.
            Second, for some early Christians, the only time they would enjoy a full stomach would be after the agape meal (the meal experienced in the context for the Lord’s Supper/Communion.) Were we to eat our fill during the Lord’s Supper/Communion today, we would have to wait until—the next meal… before we would fill our stomachs again. Whether we desire to admit or not, most of us have enough food in our pantries to fill our stomach’s for a week or two.
            Most of us, Christians, in the U.S. are simply affluent. So why make a big deal about eating our fill during the Lord’s Supper/Communion?
            The fact is, we are not where we are going. We have not experienced heaven’s wedding meal with the Lamb. That is to come. Indeed, it says something about our present limitations that we can eat until our bellies are full, and yet we hunger again by the time the next meal rolls around.
            Why not partake of just a taste of heaven—a reign and an experience that is not fully consummated yet?
            Someday, that age will come—but not yet. The wafer of unleavened bread and the thimbleful cup size of grape juice remind us of our present existence.
            LIFE IS BETTER, NOW THAT WE KNOW THE LORD. However, we are not where we desire to be—or where we will be.
            Until then, we will eat portions influenced by a fallen creation to celebrate God’s work in Jesus, and encourage us to wait for what is to come.
            I am not saying this should be our regular practice. I am saying how we think could redeem our current practice.

Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)
1. Okay, I have read messages from some of my friends on Facebook—wonderful, spiritual, and godly reactions to Osama Bin Laden’s death. These included marvelous scriptures that really made me think.
            So now, I am going to offer my initial emotional reaction. I am not saying it was right. Indeed, in light of scripture, it probably was wrong. But here it is:
            Last night, my daughter, Haleigh, woke me up from a deep sleep. Excitedly, she said, “Dad, they just killed Osama bin Laden. The president is speaking.”
               This is one of the few times I can remember being awakened from a deep sleep, and feeling upbeat about the experience. Instantly, even as my mind was processing the news, I felt positive emotions.
            Entering our den, where Haleigh had the president's speech live on the computer, I saw and heard him talking to the nation, and to the world. By then, I was fully awake, and I felt deep joy.
            Ten years is a long time. The world is a different place.
            Recently, I began watching Tom Hanks’ mini-series, THE PACIFIC. Some of those soldiers experienced perhaps the closest humans will get to hell on earth. Suicidal enemies attacking them using island civilians as instruments to blow up and destroy American soldiers. I tend to give others the benefit of the doubt when they have to choose between two or more bad choices.
            I am blessed by the world those soldiers helped protect. It is hard for me to divorce myself from this country. I have lived in other countries; there is no place like this one.
            I like feeling safe. I like feeling free.
            I appreciate our policemen. I appreciate our military.
            When others risk much (including the possibility that they might be doing something morally wrong in the pursuit of doing what is right), with the result being I am safer and free, I cannot help but feel gratitude.
2. Someday, someone should write an updated theology of government. When you wake up and find yourself the most powerful government on earth, how do you handle that responsibility?
            I suspect it is similar to waking up and finding yourself receiving the responsibility of parenthood. You cannot serve without sinning; yet, to walk away from the responsibility is sinning.
3. Way to go Mavs! Way to beat Portland.
4. DeMarco Murray drafted by the Dallas Cowboys? Please! If he cannot stay healthy in college, how in the world will he in the NFL?
5. It was five years ago this week I began my ministry at Shiloh. I am grateful, and there is no other place on earth I would rather be.


            

4 comments:

Tim Archer said...

I didn't take last week's post to be only about quantity of food, but quality of time. Adding more food to the Lord's Supper in no way ensures that there will be communion during that time.

I think what's desperately needed is a sense of table, even when no table is involved. When friends or family gather around a table, it's rare for someone to sit with their eyes closed, not interacting with those around. Communion implies fellowship, sharing, interaction. We take the Lord's Supper in an attitude of sharing… or it's not the Lord's Supper that we take. (see 1 Corinthians 11)

We can establish that sense of fellowship even when merely sipping and pinching, and we can fail to achieve it during a full meal. It's not about how much food; it's about how much fellowship.

Those are my not-as-humble-as-they-should-be thoughts.

Grace and peace,
Tim Archer

Tim Archer said...

When you wake up and find yourself the most powerful government on earth, how do you handle that responsibility?

I did want to comment on this. (Forgive me for hogging the comment section)

I would think it's a bit like waking and finding that you're the richest man in the world. I would think that one goal would be to give away so much that that were no longer true!

If a nation finds that it has come to have that much power, if that nation seeks to be God-pleasing, it will do all it can to empower other nations and yield as much power as it can.

That, of course, goes against the best interest of nations. Which explains some of my theology of government! What is natural to the survival of nations doesn't tend to be godly.

Grace and peace,
Tim Archer

Dr. William Mark Edge said...

Thanks, Tim, for both sets of thoughts.

With regard to a theology of government, dare I dream that Deuteronomy might be worth a long look?

I wonder if it is the closest contextualized series of thoughts concerning this subject. Could it be there we can find to the character of God addressing the government of Humanity--in its idealized form. (And even then, it is problematic since God is already conceding a fallen world.)

Just wondering.

ME

Tim Archer said...

Now you've got a topic for a future post! I'd love to hear you develop this theology of government. I'm still wrestling with mine.

Rightly, wrongly, blindly or insightfully, I find the parallels to the Kingdom God established in the Torah not in any earthly government, but in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Grace and peace,
Tim Archer