Monday, June 20, 2011

Let Me Share My Dad


            Every year for Father's Day, I post a letter that my father wrote me when I was in college. He was very faithful to write me during that time, and I treasure his letters today.
            My mother is my family's social butterfly. She is the one everyone has always considered to be funny. But my dad had a very good sense of humor as well. Many times this came out in his letters.
            You will get a taste of East Texas culture in the letter that follows. My dad grew up squirrel hunting in the wild woods, and he passed that love on to me.
            We always cooked the meat of the squirrels we killed, and he did not pass along to me his appreciation of that fine cuisine. Nevertheless, I have always enjoyed squirrel hunting, and I hope that you enjoy this portion of our culture.
            Daddy wrote this letter after returning home from a brief hunting trip to our property on White Oak Creek, near Saltillo, Texas. He wrote it early on Sunday morning, shortly before he taught his weekly Bible classes at my home church.
            So what follows is his letter to me when I was a sophomore at Abilene Christian University dated October 19, 1980. Unlike past letters I have printed, this one was not primarily offered for advice and encouragement; rather, it was a whimsical look at something I enjoyed and missed (squirrel hunting.) Let me share my dad with you:

Dear Mark,
            Sorry I missed your call yesterday afternoon but Quenton [a beloved family member by marriage] and I went down to the creek to do a little squirrel hunting. It was a cool cloudy day and not a leaf was stirring… and we just couldn't resist the opportunity. What we didn't count on though was that the mosquitoes liked to carry us off. When we spent four days down there a couple of weeks ago, there were very few mosquitoes, and we didn't look for any now.
            I only killed one squirrel. I probably could've killed more, but the shots kept bouncing off mosquitoes… and there was not enough punch left in them, so they were unable to kill the squirrel. They [the mosquitoes] were so big that they were able to talk. I couldn't hear anything but them talking. The mosquitoes kept coming back and telling me which way the squirrels went.
            They wanted me to be successful, though, so I would stay there and keep feeding them. I put enough OFF on me that they all got drunk, and then they really had a good time.
            Quenton’s arms [made him look] like he was a dope junkie. Well, the reason was they got their last lick in before a cold front moved in last night.
            … I have just finished my Sunday school lesson and have little time to write–[I] must get on by the house and check in before going to church. Imagine me lying [about] those little ’ol innocent mosquitoes just before going to teach a class at church.
            Mark, your mother and I decided we would just make a sizable contribution to the church instead of financing [next summer's] youth work. We are making a $10,000 contribution this morning and are including you and Lissa (my sister) on it. I made a copy of the check and am including it in this letter to you so that you can feel a part of it.
            Good luck on everything that you're doing as I am sure you have everything in the proper perspective. I have the utmost confidence in you and I feel that whatever you decide to do you will do it with the right motives and will be successful. You got what it takes “big boy.”
            We love you,

            Dad and all

            I might mention that my parents issued instructions to our church leaders that their gift was to be anonymous. My dad had sold off one of his businesses and wanted to offer a blessing to the church.
I pondered whether or not to include this portion of the letter, since daddy and mom made the offering anonymously. However, I am very proud of my parents and their generous spirit.
My father has been dead almost thirty years. Often, people reveal secrets about those long gone that are negative. I thought it would be nice to share a good secret.
            I am a blessed man, and I am grateful for my parental heritage.

            
Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)
1. Okay, I was wrong about Boston. Congratulations to the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup.  Tim Thomas, playoff MVP, is a phenomenal goalie.
2. Incidentally, I read that Thomas is a very committed Christian, who attends his Boston area church services regularly. Unusual for a professional athlete.
3. Yesterday, Mike Warner preached in our morning worship service. Mike preached for over thirty years for Shiloh, and was my predecessor. This year, he celebrates fifty years of preaching. Mike and his wife, Barbara, have been true blessings to Judy and me. They model what it means to welcome a new preacher to a congregation—and then help him survive and thrive! It would be worthwhile for a church to invite them to do a workshop on congregations and the preaching ministry (or on marriage, or on parenting for that matter.)
4. Here is a good quote from my colleague, Charles Smith, who preached on Amos last night at Shiloh: “Israel substituted an hour of worship for a week of righteous living.” His says he probably got it from John Willis years ago. Still, a good quote.
5. West Erwin, I look forward to sharing with you from Exodus this Wednesday night. Thanks for having me.


No comments: