Monday, August 13, 2012

Reflections on Leaving the Pulpit


             I only thought that resigning from my job was important.
            Judy and I picked last Wednesday as the day to tell our four kids I was leaving full time preaching. We were traveling to Cleburne for a speaking engagement, and the entire family was going with me.
            I was almost two thirds of the way through my story—telling about our decision and what it involved—when we passed by my son’s elementary school, Andy Woods.
            With great excitement, Timothy interrupted me (as I was sharing from my heart) with this exclamation, “Guys! Look! Look over there!” (Pointing out the window of our Suburban toward the school.)
            My oldest daughter, Haleigh, tried to shush him, “Be quiet, Timothy, daddy’s trying to talk to us.”
            “I’m sorry,” Timothy shouted, “but look! They’re cutting down a tree! They’re cutting down a tree!”
            I had to admit that his news earned the right for him to gain the floor. There are always going to be life-altering decisions, but it is not everyday you get to see someone cut down a big tree at your school.
            I was grateful for the much needed perspective.
            Speaking of perspective, I have received some good questions since I announced yesterday that I was stepping down from Shiloh’s pulpit. So I thought it would be helpful to add some context and clarification to my thoughts expressed in my letter of resignation, which I posted on my FB page.
            First, there are many variables involved in my decision. On a more personal note, I offered the Lord my retirement from preaching last month while on a mountain in Colorado on Wilderness Expedition.
            Last Spring, as Shiloh was looking at the book of Hebrews, I wrestled with the question of whether or not Jesus was my anchor (Heb. 6.) As I focused on the Christians struggling with attacks on their faith, I could not help but think about how easy I had it Shiloh. Oh, sure, we faced problems, but so do all churches. Had preaching become an idol to me? Was I a "preacher" more than a disciple of Jesus?
            In many ways, I believe the Lord has responded to my offer to “retire” by making it clear to me that he accepts it. I am at peace with this decision.
            Granted, I don’t want to be stubborn or obstinate about preaching. If I am convinced God wants me back in the pulpit, I will answer the call.
            Second, since I announced that in the immediate future I would be doing a lot of writing, I think some people got the idea that I plan on making a career out of it. I would love to have the privilege; however, I fully recognize how unrealistic that is.
            I still have a file containing a book I completed 20 years ago, which no publishing company wanted to publish. (The meanies!)
            I have three books floating around in my head that I’ve wanted to work on for quite a while. I am going to use the time I have available to do so.
            I would love for the Lord to allow one to be published, but if not, I can store the manuscripts. I write for a lot of reasons… one being the sheer enjoyment of it.           
            Third, since our family would like to remain in Tyler and at Shiloh, I am pursuing other career fields, which would keep me here. I’ve got some ideas, and I will investigate them.
            I am excited about the present. I am so thankful that I have elders who love me and are so supportive of me during this time.  No matter what I end up doing, my prayer is that it will be pleasing to the Lord and in fitting with his mission for my life and transformation.
           
           

2 comments:

Britt Farmer said...

Been there. You know I have. I will be praying for you and your next step in your walk with Him and His wonderful Spirit and Son. I am always here to help carry the load you helped me carry while on my journey. I love you my brother.

Britt

Dr. William Mark Edge said...

Thanks, Britt. I hope the Lord is not calling me to a certain company to deliver food! :)

ME