Friday, January 8, 2010

Rested, Refreshed, and Back

I feel good. I know my adrenaline is running because I have been arising easily this week. Normally, it feels like I've been run over by a herd of buffaloes each morning. I'm not convinced this will last, but it is a sure sign of a good time of vacation.

I always feel fired up for the New Year. This year, I have been processing personal goals, as well as, things I would like to see Shiloh do. My mind has been assimilating the experiences in Spearfish, South Dakota, and I have been convicted of the need of sharing Jesus with people.

I am definitely not satisfied with maintaining status quo. I cannot help but believe that God desires fruit from spiritual and numerical growth.

It is interesting; so much of life is about what we will or will not accept. I absolutely know I will eat today. I know my family will eat. I will not accept anything less.

I don't wake up each morning thinking "Well, if it is God's will I will eat." No, I am convicted to the core it is God's will for me is to eat. Now, I understand that both God and Satan are bigger than I am. There is a spiritual war they are engaged in. Being a pawn of that war, I understand that they both trump my beliefs. If that happens, I will respectfully accept it. But I expect to eat.

I expect shelter for me and my family. I expect a roof over our heads that works, I expect protection from the cold, and I expect our basic survival needs will be met.

If those needs are not met, that is a catastrophe. I will not accept a catastrophe without summarizing the effort to face the challenge. Again, God or Satan can trump my work, but my assumption is my family will be protected from the elements. I will not be satisfied with anything less.

Most Christians are like me in that regard. Why is it in a world in which God values new people coming into the kingdom, I, and we, can remain so satisfied with a lack of spiritual fruit bearing?

A year or two ago, one of our elders noted that when he became an elder, it was as if God had entrusted into his and the other elders’ care, a congregation of 500 people. He thought of the parable of the talents. Jesus noted that the master was pleased when the man took five talents and doubled them. The master was pleased when the man took two talents and doubled them. Jesus noted the master was not pleased with the man who received one talent and maintained it. This elder said he was convicted he could not stand someday before God and hand back a church of the same size. Neither can I.

One of my goals for this year is a holy discontent. I desire to accept nothing less than a multiplying ministry. I want to arrive to that place where my assumption and insistence for people being added to the kingdom is equally as strong as my expectation that my basic needs and my families’ basic needs will be met.
AMAZING FAITH: THE AUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY OF BILL BRIGHT
I had the chance to read AMAZING FAITH during the holidays. I have some philosophical disagreements with Bright. Still, I find him a compelling figure in 20th century Christianity. I respect his heart for Jesus and his passion for evangelism.

The book was interesting and an easy read. Clearly the author, Michael Richardson, is sympathetic to his subject. Yet, Richardson’s sympathy does not mar one’s reading experience.

Bill Bright, the mind and inspiration behind Campus Crusade for Christ, made a great impact on the twentieth century. This book reveals the story behind the his life and work.
Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)
1. I think I wrote last month that my 2010 electronic challenge would be transferring my audio tape files to a digital format for my computer. To that end, I purchased the GRACE DIGITAL AUDIO Tape 2 USB. I have been very disappointed. I have spent a number of hours studying and working with the hardware and software because I have found this device not to be user friendly for the layman. Moreover, they offer no resources other than on-line forums to address any problem. With so many variables involved in such a product, I feel resource people should be available to offer personal service. I consider my time to be one of my most valuable resources. This product does not respect the time of the layman. I give it an F.

2. Several of you my age have seen AVATAR and said I need to see it. Thanks for the comments.

3. I wish to tell all of the people in South Dakota, who took my advice and bet on the Texas Longhorns—I’m sorry. Everything played out just as I had envisioned last night in the championship game except for one—I did not imagine Colt McCoy getting hurt on the Longhorn’s fifth offensive play.

4. On the positive side for the Longhorns. I’m sure Mack Brown went to bed last night disappointed for a number of reasons. But when he awoke this morning, he had to be thinking:
a. He almost won the national championship with a true freshman quarterback who played under the worst of circumstances.
b. This is the worst situation this quarterback will ever face. It is all downhill from here.
c. He has a blue chip running back coming to Texas from Cayuga.
d. Much of his excellent defense returns.
e. Will Muschamp returns as defensive coordinator.
Yes, the sun definitely rose for Mack Brown this morning.

5. I am afraid the third time’s a charm—the Eagles will beat the Cowboys.
Have a great weekend!

No comments: