Friday, January 22, 2010

Thirty Seven Years and Counting

Today, Friday, January 22, 2010, is the thirty-seventh anniversary of Roe vs. Wade. Here is a question I cannot get out of my mind:

Of all the babies who have been aborted, with whom would I most be willing to exchange places?

I wonder if Jesus’ words from Matthew 7:12 apply here, “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets”?


Beyond the Shadow of a Doubt


Some of you may remember Michael Guillen, who was science the Science Correspondent for Good Morning America for a number of years. He also has his PhD and has engaged in intellectual pursuits such as teaching mathematical physics at Cornell University. A few years ago, he wrote the book BRIDGES TO INFINITY, THE HUMAN SIDE OF MATHEMETICS.

In his book, he writes of the well-known philosopher and agnostic Bertrand Russell. In 1959, Russell was in a state of disillusionment and he wrote, "I wanted certainty in the kind of way in which people want religious faith. I thought that certainty is more likely to be found in mathematics than anywhere.... But after some 20 years of arduous toil, I came to the conclusion that there was nothing more that I could do in the way of making mathematical knowledge” certain beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Russell was an agnostic, who was studying math to find something that maintained black and white certainty. Yet, even in mathematics, he discovered one cannot find total certainty.

I have discovered in life that God has us cornered. He provides us with just enough revelation that we cannot escape that gnawing sense that He exists. However, He refrains from revealing Himself totally. He still maintains a mysterious element about Himself. Consequently, we will never know all we wish to know. This can drive us to despair, rebellion, or to God.

Happy Anniversary

Sean Fuller shared with me something from a recent issue of Network World magazine. It was a list of the 25 “Geekiest” 25th anniversaries to be celebrated in 2010. I share with you the most interesting ten to me. In 1985, you would have seen the debuts of:

• Commodore offering its Amiga 1000 personal computer, equipped with 256KB of RAM, for only $1595.00 (remember, these are 1985 dollars).
• AOL
• Apple’s first laster printer for the Mac providing 300 dpi, on sale for $6995.00.
• The first Blockbuster store opened in Dallas.
• New Coke
• The Discovery Channel
• Nintendo
• Microsoft’s’ Windows 1.0.
• BACK TO THE FUTURE
• And, this is for you, C. J., MACGYVER

It's Friday but Sunday's Coming

My alma mater, the Winnsboro Red Raiders, have never won a state championship in football. My oldest daughter has never known what it was like for the Dallas Cowboys to be Super Bowl champions; she was two when they last won. The greatest coach of the twentieth century, John Wooden, won 10 national championships in NCAA men’s basketball. However, having coached over a period of 30 years, even he spent 20 years not celebrating as champion. The fact is, we are all a bunch of losers. No, I'm just messing with you. But, realistically, much of our life consists of failure. Now, how will we deal with that? I appreciate David’s relationship with God during his time of failure. One section that accentuates David’s experiencing failure is II Samuel 2-4. We, at Shiloh, will look at those chapters Sunday morning.

Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)

1. I saw where James Dobson is beginning a new radio program in March, separate and apart from his program on Focus on the Family, which he will leave in February. Dobson will be joined by his son, Ryan. I like Focus on the Family, but I must admit I think I would rather listen to Dobson on the radio.

2. Here’s an interesting observation from one who scrutinizes our culture, Leonard Sweet, delivered to me by my colleague Charles Smith:

Everyone born after 1973 is a native; everyone born before 1973 is an immigrant.

The point is, those born after ’73 have an intuit understanding of how to operate in this postmodern, technological world. Those of us who were born before ’73 have to study and learn how to function—it is not instinctive to us. And, having lived in a foreign country, I know that no matter how hard you work to adjust and fit in, there will always be a small voice within you reminding you that you are an outsider. Boy, do I feel old!

3. I’m intrigued by an article in this month’s journal FIRST THINGS. Mary Eberstadt writes that in view of Pope Benedict’s announcement last October offering members of the Anglican Church easy transfer of church membership, approximately 1000 Anglican priests and 300 Anglican churches are looking to transfer membership to the Roman Catholic Church. While these numbers will make little impact in the Vatican, they would make yet another contribution to the demise of the Anglican Church.

4. Is there anything crazier to observe than the Conan/Leno/NBC war? I’ve been reading about it for the past few weeks. This is more entertaining than what’s on TV. Let me say this to Shiloh, if you ever want to buy me out for $45 million, I promise I will go away quietly.

5. I would tell who will win this weekend, except for the fact I have not picked anything right this new year! Last week, I did not publically predict Dallas would defeat Minnesota, but I was thinking it. Therefore, I refuse to say who is going to the Super Bowl, or even think it!


Have a great weekend!

No comments: