Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Rh Factor

J. H. Traver was a scientist, who did research on blood. Several years ago, I read an article Traver wrote. It was dated, but it still symbolically made an impact on me.

It was in Traver’s work that I first became aware of the fact that when a man, whose blood contains the Rh factor, and a woman, whose blood lacks this factor produce an offspring, the blood of the baby often carries the Rh factor, which causes the mother's body to produce antibodies. These antibodies can cause destruction of the red cells in the fetal bloodstream.

Ultimately, this can become a threat to the life of the baby. Years ago, options were limited to basically a blood transfusion. Someone else’s blood had to serve as substitute for that of the baby.  In other words, in order to save the child's life, most of its blood had to be removed while being replaced with blood from a suitable donor.

I cannot help but think, in a sense, that is the way it is for every person on earth. There is something wrong with our blood. It has been tainted with sin. There needs to be some sort of heavenly transfusion. No blood from this planet is good enough. There has to be something better, extra, supernatural.

One came from another world, and came to this world and gave us opportunity to receive a transfusion—a spiritual transfusion of his blood. He was the Son of God.

Now, allow me to tweak this metaphor.

We cannot make ourselves be born. What it takes is the effort of those, who help in the birthing process. It takes, ultimately, literally, one person and the shedding of her blood, to bring that baby into the world.

That is the way it is for a sinner. A sinner can try all he wants to make a difference to get to heaven. But, it will not work. There has to be a birthing process. Someone else has to give birth to him. Someone has to shed blood to bring him into this world. Jesus shed his blood to birth this new creature (see John 3:3-5).



Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)

1. Last week, I finally saw the movie UP. My kids had been trying to get me to see it for a long time. I really enjoyed the movie. Their opening, five-minute summary, of the married life was one of the most moving I have ever seen. Virtually without words, they painted, onscreen, what it means to live in love until death do you part. I’m making that sequence a required viewing for any couple I marry.

2. Thank you Westhill congregation in Cleburne. I had a great time with you Wednesday night. And I really like the coffee house concept.

3. I finished my yearly listen to SANDY KOUFAX, A LEFTY’S LEGACY by Jane Leavy. I thoroughly enjoy the book, obviously. I think part of the reason is Jane Leavy is an exceptional writer. She is truly gifted with words. Why she is not more famous, I do not know.

4. Argentina loses to Germany 4-0. That was so lopsided, I did not even feel bad after the match.

5. I hope you are enjoying a marvelous July 4th weekend.

No comments: