Monday, October 17, 2011

The Gift


            One of the most compelling stories I have ever heard comes from the experiences of Charles Swindoll. In his book ELIJAH, he writes about an experience he had many years ago when he visited a man in a Veteran’s hospital. The vet was a rather young man, who had unfortunately suffered a number of heart attacks.
            The man had a young son. On the day of his visit, Swindoll noted that this father had made a little wooden truck during his hospital stay for this young son.
            As was customary in those days, the boy was not allowed to go into the area of the hospital where his father was a patient. Consequently, a worker from the hospital brought the gift down to the child. The son was standing in front of the hospital with his mother.
            Out of the fifth floor window of his hospital room, the father watched his son unwrap the present. As the little boy opened the package, he became excited. Seeing the marvelous little truck, he embraced it, holding it close to his chest.
            The little son set the truck down and gave the hospital orderly a great big hug. He thanked him profusely for the gift. Meanwhile, standing behind the windowpane, the father began frantically waving his arms to get his son's attention. The son did not notice. The father cried out, “It's me, son. I made the truck for you. I gave that truck to you. Look up here!”
            Finally, the mother and the orderly were able to encourage the little boy to look up to the fifth floor window. At last, the son understood. Then he cried out, “Daddy! Oh, thank you! I miss you, daddy! Come home, daddy. Thank you for my truck.”
            In the end, the father experienced the joy of knowing his son had received his gift. Tears poured down his cheeks.
            As Swindoll so aptly asks, how often in life do we as God's children receive his gifts—food, friends, refreshment, relationships—and then we fall in love with the gifts, rather than the giver?
            He gives us wonderful wives, and we fall in love with them more than him. He gives us wonderful jobs, and we fall in love with the jobs more than him. Meanwhile, he stands at heaven’s window and cries out, “Look up here. I gave this to you!”
            What he yearns for is for us to say, “Oh, thank you Father! I want to be with you.”
            We know from what Jesus’ brother tells us in James (1:17) that God is the giver of good gifts. We may not know those gifts point toward him. He yearns for us to respond in gratitude and to enjoy a relationship with him.
Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)
1. Way to go Rangers! I feel good about their matchup with St. Louis and predict the Rangers win the World Series in six games.
2. This sounds strange, but Dallas’ loss to New England yesterday makes me feel BETTER about this team than their two wins. Dallas’ defense is much more powerful than I previously thought. Really, my only concern now is the offensive line. However, I think this team is going to win a playoff game come January.
3. I enjoyed having our first born in for Fall Break. It is easier to say goodbye the third time than the first (or second.) I think both family and Haleigh are adjusting to our new lives.
4. I took Haleigh and Abby to see the new Steve Martin/Jack Black/Owen Wilson movie, THE BIG YEAR, Friday. We went expecting to see a comedy about bird watching. It WAS funny—lots of times. Nevertheless, it was not a comedy. It was a movie addressing profound relationship themes within the midst of a humorous story line. This movie addressed friendship, marriage, parenthood, father/son relationships, romance, and the pursuit of a life to the exclusion of the above. I give this movie a big thumbs-up. Oh, by the way, I learned a lot about birds, too.
5. Friday, Travis Gilbreath and I depart for Miami for brief trip to study a church. More specifically, we’re observing the role the preaching ministry plays in a growing, multi-cultural church. The preacher’s name is Rick Blackwood. He wrote the book THE POWER OF MULTI-SENSORY PREACHING a few years ago. That is the book I bought all of our elders, staff, worship team, and sermon advisory group. I believe multi-sensory preaching is theological and biblical. I have been attempting to engage in it the past few years and am very pleased with where we are.
            I am taking this trip in lieu of a traditional minister’s conference. In addition to attending a worship service, I will be meeting with Rick, and Travis will be meeting with his counterpart. I would appreciate prayers for safe travel as well as personal and professional growth.  

No comments: