Monday, October 24, 2011

National Treasure


            I was reading LEADERSHIP JOURNAL a while back, when I encountered a story that moved me deeply.
            Back in 1944, James Hampton, “a quiet, virtually unknown janitor” from Washington, D.C, began to search for items discarded by people. He collected anything from old furniture to kitchen foil, from coke bottles to cardboard—anything he could find.
            He was moved by a verse in the Bible—Prov. 29:18: “Where there is no vision the people perish.” James Hampton believed that people should have a vision of the glory of God, so, using his collection of abandoned materials, he set to work creating an artistic work portraying the throne room of God.
            Using glue, tape, tacks and pins, James precariously fitted together his articles of art. James worked on his project for twenty years, and then he died; he had not told a soul about his endeavor.
            Perhaps he decided his project should be for God’s eyes, and God’s eyes only. It may be James thought his work was not very good. Maybe, in time, he thought to himself, “I’m a janitor. Who am I kidding? Who would ever want to see my work?”
            After his death, someone found James Hampton’s artwork in his garage. Today, all 180 pieces of James’ work reflecting the throne room of heaven is prominently displayed near the entrance… of the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Art.
            James Hampton’s composition is now considered a national treasure.
            When I read that story, it brought tears to my eyes. Here is a man, who labored on a work he believed no one would see.
            Millions did.
            It inspires me to hope.
            All of us will die having done work we believe is beneath God’s standards, or incomplete. Yet, we can die hoping God will take that work and bless lives with it, bringing glory to Himself.
            And why not hope? Millions of people have entered a museum, some surely expecting to see neutral works of art, only to be transported into the throne room of God.


           Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)
1. What a series! First, the Rangers became the third team to come from behind and win a World Series game after trailing 1-0 in the ninth inning. They did so against a closer, who only allowed one hit (and base runner) for the past month.
            Then, Saturday night, Albert Pujols became the third player in MLB history to hit three home runs in one World Series game.
            As of this writing, the series is tied 2-2. Why not stick to my original prognostication—the Rangers in six games?
2. I had a great trip to Miami over the weekend. Joining me was my sermon-visual go-to-guy, Travis Gilbreath. We traveled to take a closer look at Dr. Rick Blackwood’s preaching ministry and the evangelistic work of his church. Rick is the author of The Power of Multisensory Preaching and Teaching: Increase Attention, Comprehension, and Retention.
             I have written much about this book before; I consider it to be exceptional. Moreover, his church is made up of members from over seventy nations, spread over five campuses in the Miami area.
         Rick graciously hosted us in his home on Saturday. We also received an extensive tour of their Palmetto Bay campus and attended one of their worship services. I have never seen such a multi-cultural collection of church members in a worship assembly. We closed out our trip by meeting with Rick in his office after the worship service.
          I consider what Travis and I did akin to college football coaches traveling to another university to see what the staff does there. This can be invaluable for church leaders.
         I thank Rick and his staff for being so hospital to us. I left inspired and with many new ideas.
3. While on the plane, I read Rick’s book for the second time. I was blessed as much as I was the first time back in 2008.
4. Incidentally, some of you may be familiar with Eric Geiger. He joined Thom Rainer in writing the book SIMPLE CHURCH a few years ago. He was formerly on the staff at the Palmetto Bay campus, having left earlier this year.
5. Fun fact from our Miami trip—Travis Gilbreath and I got one of those HOTWIRE deals where we got a great hotel for the price of an inexpensive motel. Consequently, we stayed in the MIAMI AIRPORT HILTON, which hosted the Chicago Bears during the Super Bowl of 2007 as well as three other NFC teams in years past. One of those teams was the 1989 World Champion San Francisco 49ers. Just think, Joe Montana could have stayed in our room 22 years ago!


No comments: