Monday, December 12, 2011

“I Like Ike”


            General Dwight Eisenhower was named commander of “Operation Torch” in 1942. Under his leadership, the Allied forces attacked the German troops in Africa.
            Ike did not want the job. He wanted to lead men into the field of battle. Nevertheless, he performed well as commander.             
             On Christmas Day, 1942, Eisenhower was informed that President Franklin Roosevelt wished to award him the Medal of Honor for his success.
            Eisenhower was shocked and angered. He sincerely believed that the Medal of Honor should be awarded only to the men who were fighting in the horrific conditions of the Tunisian hills. He considered it an insult that the Army would award a medal to a general “safe in headquarters–or a warm Villa–far to the rear” and away from battle.
            He told the messenger that he had a message for the president, “I don't want it [the Medal of Honor] and if is awarded I won't wear it.” He would not even keep it.
            From this story one can gather why Eisenhower, a man of war, would ultimately become one of most respected and beloved men in the entire world. He had a ready understanding of his role in any endeavor; and he held deep appreciation for the roles of others. However, watch out!
            It is tempting to think that Eisenhower was a man with little regard for his own ability and efforts. What one must understand is that Eisenhower's intense modesty held in check his large ego, which was necessary in order for him to lead the Allied armies. Eisenhower was charged to command generals such as Bernard Montgomery and George Patton—a difficult task to say the least.
            Large egos have never been a disqualifying factor in God's service. In scripture, men like Moses, David, and the Apostle Paul had sizeable egos.
            By in large, they were able to submit those egos to God’s service. Indeed, I would argue that the biblical word “meek” would especially apply to those who have large egos and have placed those large egos under God's control.
            Still, that is easier said than done. Yet, when one succeeds in subjugating his ego, people appreciate it. After all, millions proclaimed, “I like Ike.”

Source for the Eisenhower story: Eisenhower by Geoffrey Perret

Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)
1. Congratulations to Robert Griffin III for winning the Heisman Trophy. Here is a guy: who graduated early, is about to complete his Masters Degree, and if he stays his final year of eligibility at Baylor, will begin law school!
2. I saw last night’s game. How bout them Cowboys! Early in the game, I told some friends, “I’m concerned about Demarco Murray. I don’t remember him ever completing a season at OU. Seems like every year, he got hurt."
            Shortly thereafter—boom! Murray goes down. Fractured ankle… with a high ankle sprain for good measure.
            Needless to say, my friends were not pleased with me.
3. I like the singer Adele.
4. I find myself wanting to watch Meryl Streep’s new movie THE IRON LADY.
5. I have never done anything courageous… except—ride in the front seat while a teenager daughter is learning to drive.

No comments: