Monday, March 1, 2010

Memories of a Great Trip




Last week, my daughter, Abby, and I spent the week touring Washington D. C. and the surrounding areas. We did so with her eighth grade class. As I told my congregation yesterday morning, sure signs of mid-life crisis are shaving your head, growing a goatee, and chaperoning a class of eighth graders on an eight-day trip. Actually, the students were marvelous.

There were various things on our excursion that moved me; one was seeing the Capitol for the first time in 38 years. I thought of all the great presidents, who made a trip to the House and spoke to Congress.

I thought of 1917, when Woodrow Wilson came to declare America's entrance into the Great World War; Franklin Delano Roosevelt, arriving on December 8, 1941 and asking Congress to declare war upon Japan; the afternoon in April, 1961, when John F. Kennedy announced to a joint session of congress that we would go to the moon; and so many more.

An event that impacted me also was seeing George Washington's bed, in his and Martha’s bedroom, and being told that it was there that he died in 1799. It was easy to be transported back, in my mind's eye, to that time over 200 years ago. Standing only a few feet away from that bed, I could see the sick hero; I could imagine him taking his last breath. It felt like I was there when the great man’s spirit left this world.

At Monticello, I was struck by the genius of Jefferson. The man truly possessed restless intellect. That intellect blessed a nation and a world.
Because my dad fought in the Korean War, I was touched by the Korean War Memorial. We were there at night, so it was not easy to see. Yet, looking closely in the darkness at the sculpture of the soldiers marching in formation during that war, I was able to connect with my father.

We watched the House of Representatives in session as they voted on three or four amendments. It was fascinating to see people, who I have been watching on television for a number of years.

Our congressman, Louis Gohmert, took us on a behind-the-scenes tour of the Capitol Building after hours. For me, the emotional sight in the Capitol was, believe it or not, the spot, where the bodies of Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, and Ronald Reagan lay in repose, while thousands of mourners filed by. Again, I could easily imagine those crowds passing by the flag draped coffins.

Washington at night is brilliant. At the Lincoln Memorial, I could have sat for hours at Lincoln's feet, while the spotlight shined brightly upon his image; meanwhile, in the distance, the Washington Monument and the U. S. Capitol were glimmered under the lights. I felt such tranquility.

It has been almost 38 years since my last trip to Washington, D. C. I hope it is not 38 more years before I travel again.

Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)

1. Caught the final U. S. Hockey team goal and their overtime battle with the Canadians. Like most people, I was too proud of our team to be disappointed.

2. I’ve started reading the book SWITCH: HOW TO CHANGE THINGS WHEN CHANGE IS HARD on my iPhone. It is by Chip and Dan Heath. This ultimately may be one of those momentous books you are fortunate enough to come across occasionally. I am biased, because the authors’ have given words to lessons I have intuitively learned. Still, this is an amazing read so far.

3. I am grateful to have a new MacBook Pro laptop computer at my office, along with a 23 inch LG monitor purchased from Overstock.com for a $150. These should keep me functioning well the next few years. I feel like a kid does with a new toy: I can’t wait to arrive at work and play with it—I mean learn how it operates.

4. TIME had a fascinating article on Secretary of Defense Robert Gates a couple of weeks ago. My favorite line was this one from Gates himself: “I always used to tell people that Texas A&M football caused me more stress than any job I've ever had. And they always thought I was exaggerating." He was not.

5. If you are interested in my photos of Washington, check out my Facebook page.


Have a great week!

No comments: