Monday, March 29, 2010

Child Abuse


The girl in this photo is the granddaughter of Pastor Fred Phelps, Sr. This photo was taken four years ago outside the St. John’s Catholic Church in Westminster, Md. Inside, a funeral service was being held for Lance Corporal Matthew Snyder, who was killed in the war in Iraq.

Phelps’ granddaughter was standing outside the church building carrying two signs her grandfather told her carry. One said, “Thank God for Dead Soldiers. The other sign read, “God Hates Fags.com.” Other members of the protest group carried signs that read “Matt in hell.”

Fred Phelps, Sr. believes that God has punished soldiers, such as Matthew Snyder, because God is punishing the United States, since the U. S. tolerates homosexuality. (For the record, Matthew Snyder was not a homosexual.)

It doesn’t take a biblical scholar to discover that Fred Phelps has an evil, twisted view of scripture. Phelps’ evil is compounded by brainwashing (or forcing) his grandchildren to participate in his horrific schemes.

The reason this event is in the news is because Matthew Snyder’s father sued Phelps, and won. Phelps’ appealed and on March 8, the U. S. Supreme Court agreed to hear the case this October.

Sometimes, we Christians scratch our head when we see or read that secular people dislike us. There might be many reasons, but one is that some identify us with people like the Pastor Fred Phelps.

I hate it that I had to even say this—I wish it were a given—but I, along with the majority of Christians, renounce this man of evil. He is abusing people he does not know, and he is abusing people he does.

May God help Fred Phelps find Jesus.

Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)

1. Thank you Damon and Melody Parker. You did a magnificent job at our marriage and parenting seminar. You both taught terrifically in Bible class. Damon, you hit two home runs in your sermons. Well done.

2. I showed Judy and my two older kids an old Mark Harmon movie I saw my second month in Argentina. It is called AFTER THE PROMISE. It’s a real tearjerker and I thought my girls would love it. Boy was I wrong. “Dad, this is depressing! Thanks!” (The old sarcasm apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.) I think they will appreciate it in time.

3. I hope I preach at a church where those who are happy about the new health care bill can worship and fellowship with those who are opposed to the new health care bill. I think I do.

4. I’m sorry to see the Baylor men lose last night. Best line I heard about the Baylor men’s and women’s basketball teams came from one of our members, James Farmer. He said, “If both of Baylor’s basketball teams make it to the Final Four, we all need to convert.”

5. This weekend, thousands of students ranging from grades three through twelve with gather in cities pursuing Christ in art, drama, song, preaching, Bible quiz and other categories. The focus will be on II Samuel. The theme will be “God is our rock.” I like LTC and am proud my kids, and my church, are participating.


Have a great week!

No comments: