Monday, August 30, 2010

When I Grow Up


I was delighted to read an essay my eight-year-old daughter, Annie, composed the other day. Among other things she wrote: 
When I grow up I want to be a[n] african american doctor. I will fly to Africa and live there! I love Africa because I want to learn African american words!

Having lived in a foreign nation in Latin America for five years, I must say I am pleased at Annie’s enthusiasm to learn other cultures.

Also, there is something delightful I find in Annie’s innocent irony.

Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)

1. Two years ago, I came across a book in the public library. It was on cassette tape. It was unabridged and on sale for $2.00. It was called SEARCHING FOR THE INVISIBLE GOD, and it was by Philip Yancey. I had heard of Yancey, but I had never read any of his books.

One Wednesday evening, shortly thereafter, I was driving to Henderson for a speaking engagement, and I decided to pop a tape into my cassette player. I enjoyed the book at first. Gradually, I grew to deeply appreciate it. So much so, I began reading other works of his.

I have begun reading this book again. Wow, what a great read. He plumbs the depths, but he does not go too deep. On the other hand, he offers clear, easy to read illustrations. I love reading Yancey!

2. Found out yesterday that Jane Leavy is coming out with a new book this Fall. It will be a biography of Mickey Mantle and it will be called THE LAST BOY. If this is remotely as good as her book on Sandy Koufax, it will be one of the most influential baseball books ever written.

3. In light of our ministry to autistic children, I want to see TEMPLE GRANDIN.

4. I had a humorous (at least I thought it was humorous) reflection on turning fifty and working out with my daughters’ volleyball team last week. It involved feeling lightheaded and pondering the possibilities of fainting during my workout. However, a friend of mine collapsed yesterday after our worship service. They took him to the hospital and checked him out. He’s going to be okay, thankfully. Now, though, my little piece seems insensitive.
            Life’s reality is simple. When a twenty year old feels light-headed, he probably is light-headed. You're surprised or even shocked when something worse develops. When you’re my age and feel light-headed, you are acutely aware that you should pay attention. You never know when a major health issue could be lurking around the corner. And major health issues for people my age are not a cause for shock. Sadness, maybe, but not shock. You see it, unfortunately, occur too much.

5. Okay, Cowboys, what was that Saturday night? I’ve seen you do this before and bounce back fine during the regular season. Unfortunately, with the injuries to the offensive line, I am not sure if this will be normal.


No comments: