Monday, July 4, 2011

God Stalkers


            Ever read reports about stalkers? These are guys who become so enamored with someone, they will write incessant letters to the object of their attention, hang out on the perimeter of the house of the person they are stalking, and basically narrow their life’s focus exclusively to one individual.
            The problem with that kind of close attention and behavior is not necessarily the attention and behavior; the problem is the person they are focusing upon is not built to receive that kind of attention.
            That's why a person receiving this kind of intense consideration will obtain a court order seeking legal protection. It is a dangerous situation.
            Some people are self-stalkers. By that I mean they are totally focused upon themselves. From the time they get up until the time they go to bed, they are thinking about themselves and viewing everything that occurs through a personal prism.
            All worry is self-stalking. When a person worries, he is totally obsessed with a problem and how the problem will affect him or someone he loves. Over and over again, in his mind, he plays and replays scenarios. He mentally brainstorms, looking for solutions. In essence, he is praying to himself.
            This kind of behavior and focus is appropriate with the right kind of being. Unfortunately, a human being is not built for this. He will break down with this kind of focus.
            Lets move to a communal level. Ever heard of Elvis Presley? He was nicknamed “The King.” In the fifties and early sixties, thousands-no, millions-around the world so focused their lives on Elvis Presley that they combed their hair like him, walked liked him, tried to sing like him, and even snarled their lips like him.
            This idolization took a toll on Presley. He died at age 42. Still, our culture embraces the idea of venerating pop stars. It’s for good reason FOX named their TV series AMERICAN IDOL.
            We smile and understand the thousands of girls who desire to be princesses. They gather their cues all the way from Disney princesses to Princess Kate. They comb their hair like them, they dress like them, and they focus on them totally.
            They will spend their money to read issues of magazines trying to discover every detail possible about their princess–so DEVOTED they are to them.
            All of this behavior is spiritually oriented. Even the behavior of the stalker, strangely enough, would be appropriate, if it were directed toward God.
            Think about it: what if a person always hung out where God was, he journaled his thoughts to God, he continually talked to God, and became totally focused upon God?
            The other day, I was wrestling with a sermon on “glorifying God,” and it occurred to me part of my struggle was the way we redundantly use the word “glory.” I had discussed with sympathetic friends how I felt I needed to redefine the concept of worshipping-adoring-glorifying God. Then it occurred to me. I shouldn’t have to do this. We should naturally do so. It should be instinctive.
            Then it struck me. The instincts are there; however, from childhood, we typically channel those instincts in a direction pointed toward people—or ourselves.
            David channeled those instincts toward God; David was a God-stalker. Just listen to Psalm 63:

 1 You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; 
I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, 
in a dry and parched land where there is no water.
 2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. 
3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. 
4 I will praise you as long as I live, 
and in your name I will lift up my hands. 
5 I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; 
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
 6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. 
7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. 
8 I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.
 9 Those who want to kill me will be destroyed; they will go down to the depths of the earth. 
10 They will be given over to the sword and become food for jackals.
 11 But the king will rejoice in God; all who swear by God will glory in him, while the mouths of liars will be silenced.

            We were wired to focus on God. Our DNA contains the code to glorify God. Let’s channel our instincts away from everything but, and focus exclusively upon, God.

Five Things I Think I Think (with a nod to Peter King for this idea)
1. I absolutely loved MEGAMIND. My younger kids, Judy, and I saw it on DVD this week. I would love to be able to write books for kids that would communicate well with adults—like MEGAMIND does as a movie. Part of the reason I enjoyed the movie is Will Ferrell’s ability to make me “crack up.” The guy is a genius.
2. I survived SIX FLAGS last week. I stand by what I wrote. The rides were great. I hate long lines.
3. Finished LINDBERGH, by A. Scott Berg, last week. It is a very good book, written in great detail, about the life of Charles Lindbergh.
4. If you have never seen THE SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS, watch it with your kids. A little dramatic at times, but it does a great job demonstrating the skill and courage involved in the Lindbergh’s flight over the Atlantic.
5. Happy 235th Birthday, United States!


No comments: